Test Joanna Mahserdjian of Upstate Rug Supply on building a modern heritage brand Copy
While in college, I would frequent flea markets and explore design magazines at every chance I could. I was drawn to art history classes, and had a curiosity to understand the culture and story behind each piece we studied.
Today, I still get to pursue these passions. My company Upstate Rug Supply ticks all the boxes as a dream career for me: it’s a daily combination of beauty, design, and history. By hand-picking antique rugs that I then sell online, I get to focus on helping others bring items with a story into their homes.
When my friends started admiring the antique rugs I had picked for my home, they affirmed what I believed all along: I have an eagle with an eye for the hunt. I was hooked.
- Centuries worth of quality: Handwoven as long ago as 1920 or earlier, our antique rugs bear organic dyes which soften with time and uphold the weavers' tradition. Innovation and technology drive human existence, but traditions preserve human heritage.
- Handmade and handpicked: All of our antique rugs uphold the rich tradition of carpet weaving. From the weaver’s village, with no modifications, the antique rugs retain their original traits. We find them and get them new homes for people to enjoy for years to come.
- ~this is indented level-1
- ~~this is indented level-2
- Uniqueness: No two rugs are alike.
- ~indented level-1
- Education: We teach our customers how to maintain the rugs we sell so they last for years to come. I also help customers choose the right antique rug for their needs to ensure they’re buying a product that will suit their lifestyles. In case of any damage, we offer a full professional and transparent restoration.
We source all our products within the US, and we love to find and source these gems so we can bring them to our customers. It’s like a modern treasure hunt.