Instagram takeovers are becoming more prevalent in the world of creator/ brand collaborations. The beauty of Instagram takeovers is the ability for both the brand and influencer to mutually benefit. The brand gets exposure, and you get paid to discuss a product you love!
Another benefit to takeover collabs is the potential for both parties to expand their audience and exposure. The creator and brand have their own followers, and collaborations allow for crossovers that grow a new, engaged audience. For more information on takeover benefits for brands, check out our previous article here.
Executing an Instagram Takeover
- The Pitch Email: In some instances, a brand might reach out to you in regards to a potential collaboration. In others, you might come across a brand you LOVE that fits your personal style. In this instance, you can reach out to the brand with a ‘pitch email’. Explain the value you can bring to the brand, and what you envision a collaboration would look like.
- Establish Details: Once a collaboration is established, it is important to discuss specifics for your takeover. How long will it last? What hashtags should you include? What is the overall goal? This would also be the time to discuss compensation. If you are unsure of an appropriate rate, check out our creator calculator here!
- TAKEOVER: Take the followers on an adventure and give them a glimpse into your life.
- Follow up: Once your takeover is completed, it’s a good idea to send a follow up message to your brand. Evaluate whether the goals were met, and what was effective throughout your collaboration. Thank the brand for the opportunity to work together, and suggest a future collaboration if you’re interested!
Keys To A Great Takeover Experience
- Setting mutual goals: Ensure your goals match the goals of the brand you are collaborating with. Common goals can include growing your audience, boosting engagement and interaction, promoting a product/ service, or a shared vision for a passion.
- Match your goals to metrics: Depending on your established goals, you can also decide which metrics you will monitor throughout the takeover. Popular metrics to determine success include views, followers, shares, or likes.
- Share in advertising responsibilities: A successful takeover will require promotion not just on the brands part, but yours too! A few days before the takeover, remind your audience to follow your partnered brand or hashtag for cross promotion!
While Instagram takeovers require extra effort from both the brand and creator, the most important thing to remember is to have fun! Utilize your creativity and remember these important steps, and you are sure to be on your way to a successful collaboration!
Want to start collaborating with brands? Join #ThePaidCrew community and start working with world-class brands.
Marissa is a radio personality turned lifestyle influencer who loves all things beauty, fashion, and travel. You can follow her on Instagram at @MarissaOnAir. She is a member of #ThePaidCrew editorial team.